Saturday, March 23, 2013

Bye bye, Grimlands!

Another great game dumped

Gamigo, was making an awesome game for about past 3 years. It was called Grimlands.

    I signed up for beta of the game (take a note I'm a huge Fallout fan) and now I kind of regret... I've met a game with plain awesome abilities, soaking with NEW ideas, player-based economy system, vechicles and much, much more. It had so many things, that were positive, like no other MMO games (not counting WoW and GW +few minor MMO titles). I played beta for a long time with multiple characters, and I was amazed I haven't found even one thing that's not needed in the game. They really cared for their project (Drago Entertainment) and (I bet) they've put alot of hard work of bringing it to beta.


Epic theme

    When I came to beta, and logged in for first time I've heard music, awesome music, that matches your whole game and you literally can't get bored with it. It had a theme that makes you to listen to it and think of the game world, its history and danger awaiting you on the wastelands at once! Nowdays making game music is hard, and to make a "catchy" sample is hard as hell. For examle, I loved Cage the Elephant - Ain't No Rest For The Wicked in Borderlands, but in Borderlands 2 The Heavy - Short Change Hero was much, much more less catchy, and the action on the screen wasn't so good as in previous Bl, still it was a good piece of music. Of course here I ain't talking about music made for a game, but a perfect match. Good example of literally music made for a game is Vader - Sword of the Witcher or for Valve's Chocolate Helicopter. These ones are very catchy and stay in your mind.
When I've hard the project is discontinued (or just paused, nobody's sure yet, but probably discontinued because of budget cuts and "no future" for this game) I've decided to upload an HD video with the music from the game, you can find it here. Literally in honor of the game.

 

  Contents

 

    I liked pretty much everything in the beta, of course it had some bugs and resticions but still it was a fine piece of art. I feel like they were thinking about this product for years, hoping for a release but it doesn't seems like they will realease it. Or at least do it soon. I take this game as an expanded version of never-made Fallout MMO game, which I was (and I still am) awaiting for a long time. Maybe it wasn't like Fallout of course, but it was an unique position on the market, I mean really, is even anyone trying to do such a great post-apocalyptic game that's an MMO? Maybe they do, and there are a few projects going on, though this game had a great potential, like I've never seen before. It wasn't annoying (exept one bug where you were teleporting under the map/textures) but it was epic! The society in this game would actually need to depend on themselves. There were supposed to be gun nuts, scavengers, bandits, bounty hunters, sherrifs, salvagers, traders, mechanics, engineers, butchers, and many, many more positions and choices in the game.
     There were supposed to be vechicles, probably even helicopters, clans, clan wars, territory system which gained you bonuses... You still need more? Gamigo made a big mistake crossing the game from their list. It was a position what every old gamer, and some new wastelands lovers would play and stay dedicated for the game. It was way too unique to just pass by and forget about it. I've spent lots of time playing it in beta and I've enjoyed it really damn alot!

So what do we do now?


     There's just nothing more to say, but just to salute to Drago Entertainment and this dropped game. We all, that love post-apocalyptic themes, wastelands, zombies, survival and much much more, lost something big, something serious, which is unforgiveable. But have we lost it forver? I just hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment