Monday, December 7, 2015

Loot Hunter. Yes, no pictures.

Title: Loot Hunter
Genre: Action, Adventure, RPG, Simulation,Strategy
Developer: Rake in Grass 
Publisher: Rake in Grass
Release Date: 23 Jan, 2015
Platform: PC

 

A bit of a letdown

I'll keep it short. Once I have started it, the game immediately reminded me of something quite old. Tortuga - Pirates of the New World . Oh boy I was happy something similar came out. Until I've started to play the game.

One big disappointment

First of all, there's quite no combat. Combat is focused around "match 3" idea. Love it or hate it. Personally I hate it, it makes the "combat" luck based. Oh, by the way, if you match 4 or 2 different 3's, you have another turn.

Personally I dislike that system. But wait, there's trading right? Yep! It's super simplistic! There's no clear needs indicator. Nope. Once you go into a town it will display a few goods (or none) to buy/sell with browny/yellowy text. Once you click it it says: It's a good price to buy/sell! And that's it. No money problems at all, you just wander from one direction to another. Same comes to missions. Kill 2 pirates. Bring 20 iron. Get that rum to my brother etc. You also don't pay your crew ( I guess you're a one-man pirate/whatever) and that means that just by cruising around, there's no negative effects.

You also have levels within the game. How do they work you might ask? I have no idea. You gather experience points, which take your level up, but you also gather land. Yes, land. For quests and such you can get some acres of land. Not like you can build anything on said land. Or get money off from it. Or like anything. It's a mystical gaze of nothingness swallowed by black shrouds of doing nothing. Quite odd one might say.

This takes me to the point of ship and ship customization. Let's throw it a quickie. Can you form fleets? No. Can you upgrade your ship? Yes. 3 times. You can finish on galleon which has 2k hp and quite some firepower. By winning sea battles you can get magical loot and items that boost your ships stats. That's basically it. Oh and AI can form fleets. Only you can't.

AI is dumb. All they can do is fire at you. Nothing else. It's not a challange at all.

Actually, this is the whole game. It brings me to one point: That there is no point in playing it. No story, hell, there is no ending. You can go on forever.

Conclusion


It is a fun game but I do not see a point in playing it. I have wasted 10 hours to come up with that conclusion.

Buy it very cheap and play only to waste time, literally.

OH and there is no pathfinding. Good luck, Davy Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment