Sunday, February 15, 2015

Back in Posen, again.

And it's not that bad

Actually, not at all! I've been worse but heck, I've fixed my laptop. Or "enchanced it" in a safe way.

I've managed to finally get enough of BS from it and raise my GPU from maximum 512MB (I think, highest recorded was 256MB though) to 1,6 GB. From 512 mb it's a 300%+ increase, from 256 mb its over 600%! To answer all your doubts WHY I couldn't do it right away - intel integrated graphics.
Intel HD Graphics 3000 to be more specific, that now gives me 1 692 MB of video memory. Finally. That laptop is officially playable! I can't wait for further tests. Of course I can't say I have 1,6 GB of VM, because say 10% is used by the system itself and I'm running W7 64bit.

However, I'm really happy about it. I tried to crank it up with MSI Afterburner, wihout luck because you can't do ANYTHING with that card. So what I did? Here's a recipe:

First of... I let the laptop to lose all power to complete 0. Yes. I did it. Then I've ran for the first time in about 3 months (almost). Of course needed to put the Windows key again in order to use it properly. Then some updates came out (thanks Lenovo!) for thinkpad. There was alot of optional programs which I'm not going to mention ( I am not interested in them  personally). it was also an update to... Bios. Interesting?

So that's how the magic happend. Before, of course, I've set my power management levels to max out the CPU and GPU, suprisigly, it did not work. I've done so this time aswell, just refreshin the old options and there it is. BEFORE and shortly after the update I ran tests on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/ and I had 256 mb of video memory. After turning my laptop on again and changing the power settings once I again,wihout hope, I ran tests again. 1,6 gb! 

Magic I think it is. I don't really have a logical explanation. Or it could be the nutella I ate when I came to Posen. But what is a gaming laptop without a mouse?

My ol', cheap Omega OM-214 mouse (don't laugh, it's a killer, will work even on a carpet, sheet's, clothes and everything) was broken for MONTHS. However, I ate some nutella, took my knife out and apparently I made my knife to have suprise buttsex with it. I did something what you sould'nt try - in order to see if it's working ( my optical light was somehow broken) I've connected it by USB to my laptop and put my knife inside it. Set it alright and it works.

Sure, it looks like garbage now, the buttons aren't as responsive as they should be, but hey, it works! Looks aren't everything, the insides matter too. And I did a real mess inside my mouse. With unexplainable magic of nutella the world is better now. 

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment